Are you NOT a UK researcher? You are still eligible for research funding from the UK.

Despite cuts in public funding of research in the last years with a % of GDP below the EU-28, the UK is still very attractive to researchers worldwide, in particular in fields related to medical research that have a very strong additional support from charities.
Most research funding calls from UK Research Councils and charities ask nominees to hold an academic post in the UK if they want to apply. But not all of them. Apart from the more usual visiting professorships, that allow UK institutions to invite researchers from overseas for a period from a few months to a year, several of the big charities offer support for overseas researchers.

Wellcome Trust.

  • The Principal Research Fellowships are intended for exceptional senior research scientists currently based overseas who wish to work in the UK or Republic of Ireland.
  • Several funding schemes allow you to apply if you are based in a low- or middle-income country. Also as a general rule your research has to be related to Public Health and Tropical Medicine. If that is the case you are eligible for the very important Investigator Award, several fellowships, or the Seed Awards in Science scheme for instance.
  • The Daniel Turnberg Travel Fellowships covers expenses for short stays of researchers from Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, The Palestinian Territories, and The UK, to further their research and learn new techniques.

Cancer Research UK.

The Leverhulme Trust

The British Heart Foundation

  • Several of the clinical and non clinical fellowships are intended to be hosted in an established institution in the UK, but residency requirements don’t apply at the moment of application.

Alzheimers Research UK

  • Several of the grant schemes ask the lead applicant to be based in a UK academic/research institution. However, the application can include researchers or institutions outside the UK.

UK Research Councils

Check the eligibility criteria of research funding calls at the Research Councils UK site and the Association of Medical Research Charities site and at the